Thursday, December 30, 2010
How to Make it Thru Life ALIVE in 2011!
2011 is here!! At this time of the year, we are all supposed to think of how we are supposed to change our lives for the better. You know- lose weight, eat healthy, quit smoking. Yes, I plan on doing all three of those and suckering as many people as I can to do it with me! I do think there are more important things that are the keys to a happy life! There are 5 things that need to happen everyday of your life! These things will make all the difference. You don't really have to do anything to accomplish them. They are small thoughts that you have to acknowledge and tune up every single day the planet rotates around the sun.
1. KNOW THAT ALL PEOPLE MATTER! Every last one of them. In our line of work, we tend to only pay attention to either the really sick or the really funny patients. Some of our colleagues view all the other patients as annoyance to the "woo woo" lifestyle. Every last person we come into contact with has the power to change our lives. Sometimes through a simple statement, sometimes through their rugged silence- they should all have some impact on our way of thinking. Our treatment of others defines us as a person. If we ignore, mistreat, or villify a person it leads others to believe that we are cruel, hateful, and rude. On the other hand, when people see us treating people with compassion, kindness, and with a smile on our faces it inspires them to continue the kind acts.
2. FIND YOUR SPIRITUAL SPOT. It really doesn't matter what religion you are or what beliefs you have. You must be able to find your inner zen- so to speak. Sometimes this is found in a church, with a trusted friend, or working out at the gym. Each of us must be able to identify, process, and overcome the obstacles placed before us in our line of work. Without this simple stress relieving process, we become the cynical burned out medic we all talk about. Whether you are at the beginning of your career or you are a dinosaur of EMS...you must find your spiritual spot. A place where you can know that in the end everything will be alright!
3. CHARITY IS IMPORTANT! Now that you know people are important and it's a good thing to alleviate stress, let me tell ya about charity. In modern usage, the practice of charity means the giving of help to those in need who are not related to the giver. Here is the thing about Charity. It makes you feel good. It makes stress go away. It shows you are compassionate about your fellow man. All of us are able to contribute in some way. Many of you have recently participated in charity events for someone who is close to all of us. Mostly charity reaffirms the fact that we are all a family. We are truly in it for the long haul together. Most of us would neglect ourselves if someone genuinely needed our help. Charity doesn't have to involve money- it is whatever is needed at the time the need arises. Remember to be their for your family, friends, and the needy.
4. FAMILY IS IMPORTANT! I know this one kind of goes without saying, but sometimes with our hectic lives we tend to forget. Family is who we must be most transparent with. We cannot hold back, we cannot hide, we cannot lie. It is as simple as that! We get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life- we begin to forget to talk to those who mean the most to us. We should set aside time each day to make the point of speaking and LISTENING to our husbands, wives, children, moms, and dads. Don't take these moments for granted, we all know they can be taken from us in the blink of an eye.
5. YOUR WORK IS IMPORTANT! Aside from our family, the majority of our time is spent at work. If you are not happy at work, it affects your entire life. Too many times I hear or read on facebook about how miserable people are at work. Yes, I know a lot of it is venting, but it's the same people people over and over. I want them to find their love for this job again. What makes them miserable? I think it is probably that they have lost sight of why they do the job in the first place. Maybe if they remember 1. All people matter, 2. Spirtuality is important, 3. Charity makes ya feel good, and 4 Family is important they would have better coping skills at work. Happy home life = Happy work life. You chose what you do for a reason. Dig deep find your reason and if it still lights that spark in you...then continue on with your work. If not- maybe you need to find work that is important to you!
Well, there ya have it. My secret to a successful life. No, I am not saying my life is always perfect...or even close to it. One thing I do know is that when I consciously make an effort to accomplish all of these above my life seems to be easier. Things just roll along- no big deal. Thats the way I like it...no sudden turns.